Monday, June 30, 2008

Making Progress




Rode yesterday from Heyburn, ID to American Falls, ID and, despite heat and headwinds, managed to cover a respectable 53 miles. Also, despite slathering on SPF 50 sunblock, I now officially have a "cyclist's tan" on my arms, legs and face. Never thought I'd see the day when my pale, pale skin would actually start to turn some shade of bronze. Will be sure to get a skin cancer screening when this trip's done ;-) Well, just outside of town is the Willow Bay park, right along the banks of the American Falls reservoir, where they have a cafe, an RV park and a boat launch. I spoke with one gentleman who was curious about my trip and we compared fuel costs - gasoline for his big RV and food for me on the bike. After learning that his RV gets about 7 MPG we decided I was the hands down winner. We then started talking about my sprinkler incident in Filer, ID and, within three minutes, the sprinklers came on in the lawn area! One of them was just grazing the front of my tent but I managed to put a heavy rock over the offending spigot and avoid any more problems (and the lady at the check-in office specifically told me there would be no problems with sprinklers!). Then I watched a beautiful sunset across the water and managed to snap a few shots to share. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about the trip. My Achilles tendon is under control with the ankle support I'm wearing, my knees aren't hurting since I've managed to reduce the amount of hills I have to climb, and my attitude about the trip is becoming more positive since I now see how far I've come (almost 1,000 miles!!!) and know that I'm capable of continuing. Still, I somehow feel like I should be making more progress. This is an adjustment I'm still working on, though, and I'm trying to focus more on the journey itself than on any particular distance goals. Even at 50+ miles per day it takes a long time to get across any decent sized state (and I've got a few more of those coming up!)
Total mileage so far: 951.

Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful feeling - pushing yourself hard and realizing that, not only can you do what you're pushing yourself to do, but are actually capable of even more. You have momentum on your side now -- just keep it going! Before you know it, you will be back home, with incredible pictures and even-more-incredible stories! Oh. Does that mean I should go out and buy a rocking chair for you?

;-)
Your personal tour co-ordinator

Anonymous said...

Steve,

You're amazing - almost 1,000 miles!!! As someone who whines after 10 minutes on a bike, I'm really in awe!! Your sprinkler stories made me chuckle, and your sunset photo made me smile...keep the good stories and photos coming.

Be safe...Angie

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I have been following your trip from the start. I appreciate your effort to post pics and share some of your experiences in real time. I hope that it is living up to your expectations. You are doing great!

scott s

Anonymous said...

Uncle Steve,
Congratulations on your first 1000 mile mark and first $1000 in donations.
We wish we could be running by your side.
Love,
Bandit and Simba

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, I have been reading your blogs. I am glad all is going well for you, the pics are beautiful!!! I am just totally amazed at the fact that you are doing this!! Good luck on the rest of your journey and be safe.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I am really enjoying all of the updates and photos - especially the scenes of Snake River and of course, the cattle crossing! :-) I wish you continued safe travels and good health! Take care and have fun!!! Suz

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve:

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.

(Not my original thought, but still worth sharing!)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous sunset photo!

Foofie said...

Well I hope you sensed me biking with you in spirit today. I did 22 miles - got done and found out it was 87 here today! Checking out some of your Minneapolis route options....I need a shower - could have used some of your sprinklers during the ride. Congrats on the first 1,000 miles! I'm amazed!! And inspired.
Bike On!
Ruth (the Minnesota Ruth)

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me! I am so proud of you for doing this. I'm enjoying reading the blogs and Olivia and I are tracking you on the map. Take care of yourself and enjoy the experience! The family says hi and sends their best wishes.

KaJo