Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Idaho Eats






FINALLY CROSSED OVER INTO MY FIRST NEW STATE!!! (Other than the old and well-known state of exhaustion ;-) After a hot day's ride and crossing over the Snake River into Idaho, I found some quiet back roads and got into the small town of Emmet, ID. This is a sweet little town with an even sweeter little BBQ truck just on the side of the main street. I was almost going to eat at another place a block away but the smell of pulled pork just grabbed me like a magnet. Turns out the folks there are as nice as the food and I had a wonderful time talking and joking around with owners Tim (Bubba) and Heidi as well as their friend Coleen who stopped by on her bike. If you ever find yourself in or near Emmett I strongly recommend a stop at Bubba's BBQ. Today I got up and had a nice ride into nearby Boise, ID. While scoping out the downtown area I came across another local food adventure and met Jeremy and Casey at their cart (they are the only food cart I've ever seen that accepts Visa!). Their specialty is a chicken, bacon tater wrap and oh was it good! These guys have been doing this for about 4 years and seem to know everyone and everything going on in the downtown district. So I'm now two-for-two on great meals in Idaho. As for the riding, only travelled this morning since I'd like to spend the afternoon seeing what Boise is all about. Tomorrow I hope to move on to Mountain Home, ID and further my trek across the southern part of this state. Then onto Wyoming. Hope everyone's having a great summer. Keep those comments coming!
Total mileage so far: 710.
Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you would find the best places to eat in any given town, eh? "Smell of pulled pork just grabbed me like a magnet"...indeed!!! This sounds like it's going to be remembered as the "Gastronomical Tour of the U.S."

Happy eating!

XO,
Lucia

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first border crossing! Keeping tabs on your adventure from CT. Sounds like you're having a ball.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve:

Sorry it's taken me so long to log in. What a journey you are having. I'm really enjoying reading your log! You're my hero-- following a dream before it's too late!

Glad to hear you changed your route to preserve your knee. Besides needing it for the next few months, it will come in handy later in life!

P.s. Here's some bike news....Blue Cross was one of a few companies who sponsored the first pro cyclng espoire (18-24 year olds) race across PA called Tour of PA. It was created by the same guy that does the Commerce Triple Crown race-- Dave Chauner-- former Olympic cyclist.

It started in Philly on Tues with a 30-mile criterium at Memorial Hall. I helped promote the event. It got pretty good coverage, but unforunately the public didn't come out to watch. Disapointing. They arrive in Pittsburgh for another circuit race on Sunday-- I'm sure the crowds there wil be much better, since the race is one of many events commemorating Pgh's 250th anniversary.

Safe travels!

Ruth

Ruth said...

Steve

Sorry it took me so long to log in. What a great trip and such an enjoyable blog! You're my hero- following your dream before it's too late!
Can't wait to see and hear more.

Safe travels!

Ruth

Anonymous said...

I hear they have "famous potatoes" in Idaho. Is this the time when I should make a joke with "half-baked" as the punchline? Waka Waka!

Glad things are going well. I love your updates, man. Keep 'em coming.

-Dominic

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Maury shared your blog with our little INTA working group, so expect to see a few of us lurking around.

Sounds like a great trip so far. Totally jealous, not that I could ever do it. Way too much of a couch potato.

And you're making me hungry.

Sue Crane

Anonymous said...

Steve
see you've decide to cut across ID to WY, likely won't catch up to you. I'm in Grangeville today 6/26, headed toward Missoula. Enjoyed riding with you. best of luck. the pulled pork sounds great.

Allan