Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Livin' Large In Lava


Before I start my post today, I'd like to thank all of those who have sent in comments. It's great to hear from people and these comments provide great motivation to keep on going. So, after leaving Pocatello yesterday I ran into some of the strongest headwinds I've faced on this trip. Was struggling along at 8mph and even had to pedal when going downhill! Finally made it to the resort town of Lava Hot Springs, ID which features naturally heated mineral pools (see picture) and an Olympic size pool and water slide. I found a great campsite right along the edge of the river that runs through town and you can rent inflated tubes by the hour and float along the water (pretty fast in some spots). Since this is such a nice place I've decided to take a rest day today and enjoy the local attractions. Also, had a couple of really interesting experiences last night when I got into town. First, I met a very nice family from Salt Lake City, UT (Rich, Brenda, Austin and Desire) who invited me back to their campsite for some wine and marshmallow roasting over the campfire. It's always great to meet sociable folks since I'm on my own for long stretches on this trip. Next, I had dinner at a local restaurant and started chatting with two guys (both named Jim!) who work in the hydroelectric industry and are in town on business. We spoke about my trip, the alternative energy industry and the collections of barbed wire segments mounted on framed boards that you see so frequently out west. When I went to pay my bill for dinner I was told that one of these guys had already paid for my dinner! I went to thank him and he mentioned that he was impressed with my story and wanted to help support my trip in some small way. It's amazing what friendly and generous people I've met on this trip. Finally, after dinner, I went across the street to an ice cream shop and got a cone full of square ice cream! Yes, square. They have a unique scooper which creates that shape. I've never seen anything like it! So today I'm going to hit the pool and hot springs and let my legs recover a bit. Tomorrow I'm off for what will likely be my last full day in Idaho and then onto Wyoming!
Total mileage so far: 984.

Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Steve. This is Austin from Lava Hot Springs. I think that it is amazing that you are traveling that far on your bicycle. I am really glad to have met you. keep up the good work and in the words of Star Trek "live long and prosper".

Sincerely,
-Austin

Anonymous said...

Go tubin for us! Looks like a lot of fun. M & J

Gary said...

hi Uncle Steven,

Thanks for the post card from Idaho. Congrats on making 1,000 miles. hope you have great weather!

love,olivia :) :) :) <3

Foofie said...

Wishing you a Happy 4th of July. Hope you are enjoying some fireworks somewhere along your route....wherever that might be!

Bike on.
Ruth

Richard said...

Hope all is going well on your cross country journey. We really enjoyed your short but awesome visit with us in Lava Hot Springs.
We will be keeping track of your progress as they come in.
Keep the rubber side down and your spirit up!
Richard, Brenda, Austin & Desiree
Salt Lake City, Utah Gang!!!

Spudman said...

I told you you'd like Lava Hot Springs.
I'm glad that the trip going so well. We all deserve good things in life and apparently you deserve them even more. lol
Enjoy your journey (I'm so envious).
Nice meeting and riding with you.

Steve Sullivan