Saturday, June 14, 2008

Crossing The Cascades




This photo of my bike was obtained at great risk to life and limb! Yesterday was one of the toughest cycling days of my life! I rode a total of 46 miles and about 32 of them were straight uphill with 60 lbs of gear! Every time I kept thinking I was getting close to the top I'd round a corner and it would just keep on going up, up and up! At one point my front tire blew out sounding like a gunshot (probably from the altitude and being stressed by laying the bike on its side) so I had my first road repair of the trip to contend with on top of everything else. Still, I was surrounded by beautiful scenery and the smell of all the pine trees reminded me of Christmas. In fact, at one point there were reindeer circling overhead - or maybe they were buzzards, I'm not sure since I was nearly delirious. Anyway, I eventually got to the top and was FINALLY screaming downhill with the wind in my face. I then found, in the middle of nowhere, a very unexpected and lovely lakeside resort with an open restaurant. What a contrast to the rest of the day! I can't imagine what the front-desk hostess must have thought seeing me sweaty and gritty and walking into this swanky joint. But, somehow, this grueling day ended with a gourmet dinner and watching the sunset over a beautiful mountain lake! Go figure. Today I'm in the town of Sisters, OR where they are hosting the 20th annual Sisters Rodeo. The town is packed solid so I may not find a campsite here. We'll see what the rest of the day will bring.... Total mileage so far: 282.
Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them):

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve,

Glad that you made it to Sisters in one piece! I bet you thought you were hallucinating when you first saw that lodge at Suttle Lake, eh?

You've definitely earned a hot shower and a good meal...and a day or two of "recovery time". ;-)

XO,
Your personal assistant (and then-some)

Foofie said...

Hi Steve, Glad to see you made it up the hill! I'm sure it isn't the first! What an amazing way to see the country. Love the story about the beautiful little restaurant after a grueling day. Keep the stories coming. We're with you in spirit at least.

Bike the Dream!
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Leave it to you to find a gourmet restaurant in the middle of nowhere! Way to go on your crossing of the the Cascades! Stay safe.

angie