Sunday, June 22, 2008

Making Passes








After surviving the cattle drive, I visited the John Day Fossil Beds and got a great introduction to the wealth of finds in the area. Then on to Dayville, OR where the local Presbyterian church doubles as a hostel for travelling cyclists. They provide showers, laundry and kitchen facilities and a sign encourages visitors to lay their sleeping bags out in the sanctuary (but please don't use the pew cushions). I then headed east to Prairie City for dinner at the Branding Iron restaurant. Today was a particularly tough day since I had to ride over not one or even two but THREE long and steep mountain passes! I got an early start and was grinding up Dixie Pass for 9 miles. Once at the top, it started drizzling and the rest of the day, over two more 5,000+ foot passes, I rode through rain and thunderstorms. The up side of this was that it was cooler and I didn't have to worry about getting sunburn. After the mountain passes I still had about 30 miles to ride into Baker City, OR but I took a break to stop and see the Sumpter Valley Railroad - a working steam locomotive from 1920! Finally got into Baker City to find that they were in the middle of hosting a professional bike race! After nearly 70 miles of riding I was greeting by teams of guys in colorful Lycra racing outfits and some of the slickest road bikes I'd ever seen. Sadly, the last race of the day was called on account of rain so I didn't actually get to see any racing. Perhaps tomorrow.
Total mileage so far: 548.

Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them):http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Good thing you have such great rain gear, eh?

Sorry to hear about the bike race being called on account of rain. I know how much you would have enjoyed seeing that. Perhaps it's a good thing you didn't bring the cow bell afterall! Even so, guys in Lycra must have been quite the sight! Were any of them "family"?

xo,
Lucia

Marlene said...

Stevie:
Memories - 10 years ago (June 20) -you danced with me at my wedding. How time flies....
Glad to see you are having a great time. We think of you often. I'm checking your website regularly.

Missing you
Marlene

Richard Groos said...

Steve,
I enjoy reading your recaps! Quite an adventure so far, with much more to come. Your comments really help us travel along with you, without the pain of the uphill climbs...
keep it coming!