Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Major Shift

Stayed at the Farewell Bend state park on the Snake River last night and, man, was it windy! Beautiful scene, though, since the river widens out and almost looks like a lake at that point. Unfortunately, the library computer I'm using won't let me upload photos. Also, I have made a pretty serious change in route. Since my knees have been hurting I have decided to avoid going over the Rockies and am now going around them. I'll be traveling through Boise, ID and on east through the southern end of the state and then into Wyoming. This path around the mountains allows me to avoid serious knee-busting hill climbs and will also save me a couple of hundred miles. I'm now in the town of Ontario, OR (the "other" Ontario) and hope to make it to Boise tonight or tomorrow. The one trade off in this plan is that I'll have to spend some time riding on interstate highway 84. I've covered about 40 miles on it so far and it's actually been pretty good. There are nice, wide shoulders and lots of places to stop for food. I guess it's a small price to pay to avoid possible knee surgery! Hopefully the next computer will allow me to upload photos....

Total mileage so far: 634.

Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

3 comments:

Carol Ney said...

Steve, its Carol Ney! We had our INTA call today and Maury forwarded your blog to us all. Just wanted to let you know we think this is so great - and wish you well on your journey.

Of course, if you think this gets you out of your INTA assignments - think again. Clearly, libraries are on your stops, so I expect some research to be coming in. Chop, chop (or should I say pedal, pedal).

I'll keep checking in because I think this is an amazing thing you are doing.

Carol

bubbaswife said...

Hi Steve,
This is Heidi from Bubba's BBQ in Emmett Id. Just wanted to tell how nice it was to meet you and we hope you have a wonderful journey. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Well I finally have to comment after reading all your adventures. This riding on the highway I find fascinating! You sound like you are truly "living the dream". Keep the stories and photos coming! You're doing an amazing thing.
Michelle L