Friday, July 18, 2008

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot!




Now that I'm down out of the mountains and into eastern Colorado, the road has flattened and the wind has picked up (sometimes at my back and sometimes in my face). In any case, though, it's gotten noticeably hotter. I'm now trying to wake up really early (like 5:30AM local) and get on the road by 6:30 or 7:00 so that I can get most of my miles in before the worst heat of the day. The scenery has also changed Since I'm back on the Adventure Cycling route I've also noticed that there are more places that welcome cyclists (see the restaurant where I had lunch today). In fact, one person welcomes cyclists so much that they've opened their home to us. Right now I'm sitting using a laptop all alone in the house of someone I haven't even met yet. Seems you can only learn about this house by word-of-mouth. I heard about this from westbound cyclists I passed last week (it's amazing the information that's exchanged between cyclists out here! Sort of like a hobo network). They gave me directions and said there would be a note on the back door. Sure enough! I found the note and the door was unlocked. It says "Welcome" and gives some instructions and guidelines on staying here. I have my own bedroom, bathroom and TV! I called the person at the number provided, just to let them know I'm here. They don't get home from work until 10:30PM so I most likely won't get to actually meet them until the morning. Seems a bit bizarre (especially to a paranoid city kid like me) but also incredibly generous. But I've almost come to expect rather strange experiences and adventures out here during my trip. One last thing - got a blog comment from another rider named Allan with whom I rode for a bit back in Oregon. We went our separate ways when I took my detour in southern Idaho. Now that I'm back on the Adventure Cycling route it seems he's just a couple of days behind me. Hopefully we'll catch up again soon. Just another strange but fun facet of this trip!


Total mileage so far: 1,745



Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to ride Steve!!! Your doing AMAZING!!!! Congratulations on making it so far and best wishes for the rest of your journey. Enjoy the hotness, it will be gone before you know it.

Take care.

M.Sheehan(Canada)

Gary said...

Way to go Bro, you are an inspiration to all. And to think you missed out on all the scenery from the back of the 75 Brown Chevy. Avoid Stuckeys and keep on peddling. The girls and I are following your adventure every day. It is great to see you are leaving a trail for those behind you. Still can't believe you may actually have a tan. Love ya

Try and find a Dairy Queen on Monday the 21st and have one for Mom.

Anonymous said...

Steve:

That "open door" policy really is exceptional. I love how trusting and friendly everyone has been to you.
If it makes you feel any better, it's hot as b-lls here too! I hope you catch some cool breezes soon!

Richard said...

Fantastic stories! We are still thinking about you and your trek across America. I've told numerous friends and family members about your journey and they read your blogs now also.
We'll have a glass of wine and a smore while reading bout your continuing journey. Good Luck and keep the rubber side down.
Richard, Brenda, Austin & Desiree
Salt Lake City, Utah