Thursday, July 10, 2008





Well, after crossing half of the state of Wyoming, I decided to take a rest day in the town of Rawlins, WY. In addition to having a very good Thai restaurant (who'd have thought I'd find one in the middle of Wyoming?) and lots of wonderful old architecture, it is also the site of the first penitentiary in what was in the late 1800's the "territory" of Wyoming. For a few dollars I took a tour of "the old Pen" and saw lots of fascinating artifacts from the pioneer penal system at the turn of the century. On the tour were the cell blocks (very basic and cold), the cafeteria (more cheerful but still very institutional), the exercise yards, infirmary and, of course, the gallows! Only 12 men were hanged here - all for murder - and they actually have small sections of the rope used for each on display (rather gruesome). The other thing I noticed is that there were usually only a few months or, at most, a year between the sentence of hanging and the actual carrying out of the sentence. I guess the appeals system was a lot shorter back then. This morning I finally got off the interstate and headed south towards Colorado, which I expect to hit tomorrow. I've noticed the terrain is getting steeper again and the elevation of towns higher. The town I'm in right now, Encampment, WY, sits at just over 7,300 feet. Over the next week or so I'll be heading over a couple of rather high passes, one of which again crosses the Continental Divide at over 11,000 feet! Stay tuned. Finally, in response to one of the comments I received, I've attached a photo of my left calf muscle. More so than any other part of my leg, this seems to have really developed definition and details I've never seen before. Good thing, since I'll need that extra umph to get me through the next week. Doubt these muscles will last very long after I complete my trip but I'll use 'em while I've got 'em!

Total mileage so far: 1,378


Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

2 comments:

Foofie said...

I love the way you are continually surprised at what you are finding on your trip. Guess there is life beyond the Eastern states. :-) It was good to talk to you last week. Can't wait to see the full book of photos when you get done!
Bike On!
Ruth

Lee Levy said...

I used to have calf muscles like that. I was also lifting weights and was 18 years old at the time. Your looking great and your attitude is very positive and that makes me happy. Enjoy all your stops and have fun, it's a once in a lifetime adventure.......Love Dad