Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Continental Divide (for REAL this time!)




Well, Breckenridge was a great place for a rest day! It's basically a ski town but it's still lots of fun in the summer offering rafting, hiking and mountain biking. I, of course, did none of that. I mean, really! I'm out in the "fresh air and sunshine" every day on my bike so when I take a rest day all I really want to do is relax, eat and maybe watch some TV. This didn't stop me, however, from making some new friends at the Fireside B&B which also has some hostel style bunk rooms for travelers like me. While there I met Ben, an Outward Bound instructor who is hiking the Colorado trail (seated center in the above picture), Hazel, who is taking a week to hike around the Brekenridge area before starting a job in Denver teaching English as a second language, and Martin, who is a Swedish truck driver visiting Colorado and taking in all of the wonderful natural scenery. These were fun folks to hang out with and Andy, a retired British military man who is the owner of the Fireside, added to the fun with his generosity and great sense of humor. The next day I took off for the final push up into the mountains. Within about 10 miles south of Breckenridge I arrived at Hoosier Pass which is another point on the Continental Divide and the highest point on my trip. I just had to stand there for a moment and ponder the fact that, in addition to the many miles I've ridden my bike so far, I've also gained the equivalent of over TWO MILES of altitude! While I was excited to see the Divide the first time, this one was really special and it marks the transition from a very mountainous part of my trip into the flatter country of eastern Colorado and Kansas. While it's not really "all downhill from here", it does feel like I've made it past a huge milestone.
Total mileage so far: 1,650
Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

3 comments:

John Kloberdanz said...

Steve! I'm finally taking the time to comment on your most excellent blog...you are amazing! I especially enjoy the great scenery pics, although the picture of your left leg is might impressive too. Keep up the strong riding and the interesting stories too, bravo!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Steve!! Your comment about gaining two miles of altitude really puts your hard work in perspective. And your photos are beautiful. Stay safe and keep on peddlin'.

angie, ATL

Anonymous said...

Wow, Steven...you're doing great! I'm so glad everything is going so well and you're meeting wonderful people and really enjoying. Got back from our most recent trip (Laguna was fabulous. Missed you and Lucia!!) so had a lot of blog to catch up on. Leaving Tuesday for 4 days in New Orleans for meetings.

Hugs,
Aunt Helen