Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More southern charm




With apologies to the comedian Jeff Foxworthy, you know you're a redneck when you paint a number on the side of the car parked next to your trailer home. I suppose you're even more of a redneck if it's an actual racing stock car! Still, there were other beautiful vistas and scenery in the Mark Twain National Forest (I didn't even know he had one) which is actually a patchwork of different forest areas scattered around southeastern Missouri. So, although the heat and humidity continue, I'm still seeing interesting sights and meeting wonderful people. Outside of a motel in Doniphan, MO I met a couple with a tiny dog. It was a Rat Terrier who supposedly weighed about 3 pounds. The funniest part is that her name is Missy. My dad has a Mini Pinscher named Missy who weighs in at a heft 5 pounds! I guess it must be something about small dogs that draws people to that name. I'm next going to set out for Dexter, MO passing through Poplar Bluff but I'm concerned about the coming rain that's left over from hurricane Ike.
Total mileage so far: 2,665


Please consider making a small donation to help cancer survivors (sadly, my mom was not one of them) http://www.livestrong.org/grassroots2008/steveonhisbike

No comments: